Building a custom home should be an exhilarating and enjoyable experience, but there are countless details to consider that it’s easy to get overwhelmed and to overlook small, but important specifics. Not to worry. We’re here to help!
First things first, which builder is right for me? Many builders are out there, but not all are created equal. So it is imperative that you trust the firm that will turn your dreams into reality. Choosing is a complicated decision, as there are many factors that influence you in your decision-making process. It’s time to do your homework and ask a ton of questions!
1. How many homes do you currently have under construction? This is very important, as many builders take on too many homes at one time.
2. Who will be overseeing the daily construction of our home? A builder’s skills should go beyond construction—supervising subcontractors, zoning regulations/codes, and always keeping an eye out for problems along the way.
3. How many years have you been in business? Although experience counts, often times new companies are started by a team of seasoned veterans.
4. Are you licensed and insured? Check reviews, state licensing boards, the Better Business Bureau, and the local court records to see whether the builder you’re considering has run into any trouble.
5. Can you give me references from prior home buyers? Building a custom home is very personal. You need to select a builder not only based on their reputation and experience but also by how they make you feel. Do you feel comfortable working with them, as you will be interacting closely for at least six months to a year?
6. Can I see a home you built for another customer? Check out the quality of construction—including cabinetry, trim work, the fit and finishes of doors, drawers, and plumbing.
7. What type of warranty do you offer? One of the biggest perks of building a new home is the warranty! The home, as well as most of the products and materials, should be under warranty.
8. Do you finance the construction or do I need to secure a construction loan?
9. How and when will the final price for my home be determined? Is the construction agreement a fixed price, time & materials or cost plus? Know the the major differences between all three!
10. How long will my home take to complete? Depending on when you start and how big your home is, this could effect when you need to list your current home or end your lease.